Call us now for a free consultation

0141 404 6575
0131 358 4231

Let us contact you Get in touch

Aliment Lawyers Glasgow, Coatbridge & Edinburgh

Aliment is the regular payment from one spouse to another and to children of a marriage. If you have any concerns or queries regarding paying or receiving aliment, contact us today. Our expert family solicitors have a great deal of experience in negotiating aliment and other separation agreements, and would be happy to advise you on how best to come to a financial agreement with your spouse.

Aliment for Children

A child has a right to be financially supported by their parents. When parents separate, often the child will reside with one parent and the other parent is obliged to pay maintenance for the child. This type of aliment can be regulated by the Child Support Agency (CSA) also known as the Child Maintenance Service (CMS), or alternatively the matter can be dealt with by way of agreement. We can assist in negotiating a mutual agreement on your behalf or advising what your child is entitled to. A child is entitled to aliment until the age of 16 or up until the age of 25 if they remain in full-time education, and the economic burden of caring for a child under the age of sixteen years must be shared equally between the parents.Court proceedings can be raised for aliment by a child, or a parent on a child’s behalf if an obligated parent is not paying aliment.

Spousal Aliment

Spousal aliment is where the parties to a marriage owe a duty of aliment to one another. The same principal also applies to Civil Partnerships, and the figure can be agreed in advance in a separation agreement. On separation, one party can seek aliment from the other and if this is not agreed a court action can be raised to seek aliment and an interim aliment amount is payable until a decision is reached. An order of interim aliment can be ordered along with a divorce action, prior to divorce being granted. Once the couple divorce, aliment is no longer payable, though in some cases, a periodical allowance can be paid for up to three years after the end of the marriage.

The amount of aliment payable can be revisited and adjusted where there is a material change in circumstances. For example, if the spouse paying aliment loses their job or retires. Our divorce solicitors are highly experienced in dealing with helping clients negotiate separation agreements and in arranging financial provision on divorce. Speak to one of our team if you want more information on where you stand.

Contact our Divorce & Aliment Solicitors Glasgow, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Edinburgh, Shetland

If you are looking to discuss aliment, separation or divorce, contact one of our team today. Our solicitors pride ourselves in providing high quality and cost-effective legal advice, and have a strong commitment to achieving positive results for our clients. We tailor solutions specifically to you and your family’s needs and circumstances; delivering cutting-edge advice and skilful court representation where needed. Contact us now via our online contact form, or give us a call on 0141 404 6575 (Glasgow) or 0131 358 4231 (Edinburgh).

Get in touch

Fill in our online enquiry form

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a valid phone number
Invalid Captcha

"Very positive experience from start to finish. I found Michael to be a very calming influence during a difficult period in my life. I was instantly put at ease and I had 100% confidence in Michael. From the outset, his knowledge and experience reassures you that you are in safe hands. Communication throughout the process was excellent, very clear and I had regular updates on the progress of my case. I couldn't be happier, I was delighted with the outcome and I would highly recommend Michael and Thompson Family Law."

View our testimonials.