Call us now for a free consultation

0141 404 6575
0131 358 4231

Let us contact you Get in touch

Residence (Custody) Solicitors Glasgow, Coatbridge & Edinburgh

When families separate, the most important question to be asked is, what will happen to the children? Frequently the first decision separating couples make is with which parent should the children live.

It is a common misconception that after separation, children should always live with their mother. Whilst this has traditionally been the most common outcome, there are a significant number of fathers who assume responsibility for the full-time care of children after separation.

Whether you are a child’s mother, father, or another family member or guardian, we recognise that disputes about where a child should reside can be extremely emotional and sensitive. We also recognise that the status quo can often become the permanent arrangement, given that the Courts will tend to favour avoiding any major upheaval in a child’s circumstances unless there are strong reasons for doing so.

If you find yourself in the middle of a dispute about the residence of a child, it is important that you seek urgent legal advice. If the child is residing elsewhere and you wish the child to reside with you, do not delay in taking action.  Doing so may seriously prejudice your case.

Whatever your circumstances, our expert Family Solicitors can assist you with disputes in relation to child Residence (custody). We may be able to negotiate an arrangement directly with the other parent or guardian by writing to them. We can assist you to formalise this arrangement in a Minute of Agreement. However, if this is not possible, we have the expertise to act quickly to raise the appropriate Court action to obtain orders in relation to the residence of children. We will tenaciously argue your case at Child Welfare Hearings. If the case proceeds to Proof, we will guide you through the Court process to a resolution.

It is important to recognise that in any dispute about residence, the Children (Scotland) Act 1995 provides that the paramount concern for the Court is what is in the best interests of the child. You can rely on our Family Solicitors to represent your interests, either in correspondence with the other parties or at Court. Where possible, we will act on Legal Aid funding. Whatever your circumstances, do not delay in contacting us and obtaining the friendly, professional legal advice that you need.

Residence (Custody) Lawyers Glasgow, Coatbridge & Edinburgh

Our solicitors pride ourselves in providing high quality and cost-effective legal advice, and have a strong commitment to achieving positive results for our clients. We tailor solutions specifically to your requirements; delivering cutting-edge advice and skilful court representation where needed. Contact us now via our online contact form, or give us a call on 0141 404 6575 (Glasgow) or 0131 358 4231 (Edinburgh).

Get in touch

Fill in our online enquiry form

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a valid phone number
Invalid Captcha

"Very positive experience from start to finish. I found Michael to be a very calming influence during a difficult period in my life. I was instantly put at ease and I had 100% confidence in Michael. From the outset, his knowledge and experience reassures you that you are in safe hands. Communication throughout the process was excellent, very clear and I had regular updates on the progress of my case. I couldn't be happier, I was delighted with the outcome and I would highly recommend Michael and Thompson Family Law."

View our testimonials.