Call us now for a free consultation

0141 404 6575
0131 358 4231

Let us contact you Get in touch

Civil Legal Advice and Assistance & Civil Legal Aid

Civil Legal Advice and Assistance (often referred to Civil LAA),can be thought of as the provision of legal advice and assistance for all matters outside the walls of the Court.

There is a very simple financial eligibility test concerned with Civil Legal Advice and Assistance consisting of income within the last seven days and the amount of capital that you have. If you are married or living with a partner, your combined income is evaluated but there are discounts for living with a partner or for having children under the age of 16.

If you are in receipt of a “Passport Benefit” being Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, or Employment & Support Allowance, then Advice and Assistance is free. If you are in receipt of other benefits such as Disability Living Allowance and/or Incapacity Benefit, then these benefits are not included in the calculation [meaning LAA can also be free].

It is usually the case that people who are in receipt of state benefits will qualify for Legal Advice and Assistance. If you are working or having savings or capital, there is a formula which indicates a LAA contribution may need to be paid by you. This is a one off contribution and the figure is set by the Scottish Legal Aid Board, not the solicitor. Civil Legal Advice and Assistance (Civl LAA) is available for virtually every type of civil legal matter concerning Scots Law. The only real qualification is that the matter must be properly discussed with a solicitor. Legal Advice and Assistance remains to be a very useful method of obtaining advice for many different aspects for legal disputes in Scots law, and we are happy to help.

Thompson Family Law Solicitors are registered with the Scottish Legal Aid Board to provide Civil Legal Aid.

Generally speaking, a Civil Legal Aid certificate is required for court work [more commonly referred to as “steps in proceedings”. The tests for Civil Legal Aid (known as CVLA) are more complex; as is financial eligibility.

In practice however, these matters are fully discussed with clients during the provision of Civil Legal Advice and Assistance services, which is generally the first step prior to Civil Legal Aid. So Civil Legal Advice and Assistance is for outside court, and Civil Legal Aid is for inside court.

Civil Legal Advice and Assistance and Civil Legal Aid Lawyers Glasgow, Coatbridge & Edinburgh

We offer a free assessment of whether or not you qualify for any form of Legal Aid or Civil Legal Advice and Assistance. Contact one of our solicitors today on 0141 404 6575 (Glasgow) or 0131 358 4231 (Edinburgh).

Get in touch

Fill in our online enquiry form

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a valid phone number
Invalid Captcha

"Very positive experience from start to finish. I found Michael to be a very calming influence during a difficult period in my life. I was instantly put at ease and I had 100% confidence in Michael. From the outset, his knowledge and experience reassures you that you are in safe hands. Communication throughout the process was excellent, very clear and I had regular updates on the progress of my case. I couldn't be happier, I was delighted with the outcome and I would highly recommend Michael and Thompson Family Law."

View our testimonials.