Dealing with the death of a loved one can be a stressful and traumatic time. We can help you with winding up the deceased’s estate, whether they left a Will, or not. We can assist in the executry process, which may include applying for Confirmation (or Probate as it is known in England), performing executry duties, and winding up the estate. Where there is no Will we can also assist with your application to the Court as Executor-Dative.
What is Executry?
Executry is the term given to the distribution of a deceased’s estate. The process starts with the appointment of an Executor, which is usually laid out by the deceased in their Will, and is usually a close family member, and sometimes a solicitor. Where there is no valid Will, an Executor-Dative is appointed by the Court. The Executor’s duty is to distribute the estate according to the Will if there is one, keeping accurate accounts, and to pay all tax and liabilities on the estate. The court must first grant what is known as Confirmation to the Executor(s), which is a document giving the authority to deal with an estate.
What does an Executor do?
An Executor of an estate has several duties, such as:
- Applying to the Court for Confirmation
- Confirmation certificate to be sent to institutions holding assets
- Arranging a Bond of Caution where there is no Will (except in small estates and in certain other circumstances)
- Identifying assets and liabilities
- Creation of an inventory of estate
- Notifying banks, insurance companies etc. of death
- Payment of any debts
- Payment of any tax due
- Distribution of estate to beneficiaries, and obtain discharge from each beneficiary
- New Share Certificates to be requested and distributed to beneficiaries where applicable
- Obtain a discharge of Legal Rights where applicable
Our expert Wills and Executry solicitors offer a range of executry services where we can deal with some or all of the executor duties, depending on your needs and budget. Our experience in the area means we can work swiftly, giving our clients a cost-effective and high quality service. Give us a call to see how we can help.
Contact our Private Client Solicitors and Lawyers, Glasgow, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Shetland
If you would like to discuss a deceased’s Will, or are looking for assistance with executry duties, contact one of our team today. Our solicitors, pride ourselves in providing high quality and cost-effective legal advice, and have a strong commitment to achieving positive results for our clients. We tailor solutions specifically to your requirements; delivering cutting-edge advice and skilful court representation where needed. Contact us now via our online contact form, or give us a call on 0141 404 6575.